Well, it’s slightly more than halfway through the year, but part of me, deep down, still runs on a school calendar I think, and it’s the tail end of July, when all the exams are done and the holidays are up and running, that feels like the year’s mid-point. The Wired Jester has gotten a bit dusty – the last update was back in March (!!) – owing to a very busy first four months of the year at Custom PC. We’ve now finished hiring, and the team is up to six people in the office, which feels excellent. So now that I have a bit of time, where am I at, nearly seven months through 2008?
* My Formula 1 predictions are looking pretty good. Kubica has grabbed his first win, Hamilton is top of the Drivers’ standings, and Raikkonen is indeed looking a lot less like the complete driver. Massa has done better than I expected, and I’m glad I didn’t put anything definite down about Rosberg – despite looking good at times, he’s not managed to really put it together. Still, there’s a lot more of the season to go.
* Books-wise, 2008 has been a disappointing year. Aside from finishing Don Quixote after 16 months of reading, I’ve picked some real turkeys so far, and I’m seriously beginning to doubt whether there are more than four or five modern writers who are worth reading. Any suggestions welcome.
* Work I’ve already covered.
* Travel wise, it’s been fun – the big trip so far has been to Syria, which was a real adventure. Pictures and notes for that are up on Flickr (above is one of the Medieval mosaics at the Grand Umayyad Mosque in Damascus). I’ve also been to Ibiza and been thoroughly surprised by what it’s like, and will hopefully be heading back to Japan in the Autumn.
* Technology wise… am currently rebuilding my gaming PC. It’s the first home PC I’ve built that’s water-cooled, although it’s a fairly tame one – only the CPU is currently water-cooled, and I’m using an all-in-one Swiftech kit. Still, should be a lot better than my current Pentium EE based machine.
And writing wise? Well, I’ve made a start with the blog. I need to devote some more time to non CPC writing really – I’ve got a ton of great ideas, so it would be good to start getting some of them actually fleshed out.